SPEEDING CRIMINAL JUSTICE PROCESS AND HUMAN RIGHTS Course 11
- POLICE HUMAN RIGHTS TRAINING
- 123 (Registered)
This chapter will focus on one of the most challenging problems faced by the Nigerian Criminal Justice System – the issue of delay in the delivery of criminal justice. In addressing this issue, we will examine the entire criminal justice
system highlighting the role of the police, the human rights implications and recommended steps to address these.
The purpose of this chapter is to examine the entire criminal justice sector (including organizations representing the demand-side) to address and resolve critical blockages in the criminal justice system that slow down or prevent the delivery of effective justice including through the following:
· Identifying the root causes and associated factors that prevent speedy
dispensation of justice in criminal cases.
· Establishing cross-sector co-ordination mechanisms towards addressing the issue of delay in the administration of criminal justice in Nigeria.
· Developing and implementing action plans to address the key causes of delay and inefficiency in criminal cases in a sustainable way.
· Developing and implementing mechanisms for monitoring the speed and effectiveness of the delivery of criminal justice and supporting justice sec- tor institutions to produce and utilize performance data.
The chapter is divided into the following modules –
Module 1 – Introduction and Rationale for Speeding Up Criminal Justice Delivery Process.
Module 2 – Understanding the Causes of Delay in the Criminal Justice Delivery Process and the Role of the Police in this.
Module 3- Speeding up Criminal Justice Process-Rights of Victims and witness
Module 4-0 Human Rights and Police Case Management System
SPEEDING CRIMINAL JUSTICE PROCESS AND HUMAN RIGHTS